Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Taco Salads and Randy Jackson's Awful Shirt

Tonight we made Taco Salads. Nothing special, really. Adam and I don't make our own taco seasoning, but I really want to...so next time, we will. I promise. Now that I've written it, we have to!

I have two favorite parts of this meal. First is the salsa, and we'll get to that in a minute. Second is the pretty sweet Tortilla Bowl Makers. Adam used to make our taco bowls using an upside down baking dish, and it was a pain. So, I got him these for Christmas, and our lives have changed. These work so great, and we can make two at a time...he was only making 1 at a time before because we only had one baking dish that was an ideal size for the bowls.

Okay, so before I get to the salsa that we put on top of the taco salad...how can anyone take Randy Jackson seriously with the shirt he was wearing tonight? He looked like such a clown.

So since the salsa was the most awesome part of our dinner, I'll tell you how we made it. I don't use exact amounts but here is what I do:

Awesome Fresh Salsa
- 2-3 tomatoes
- About half of a large red onion
- A couple cloves of garlic
- Handful of fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 1 jalapeno, ribs & seeds removed (optional)

Put tomatoes in boiling water for about 15 seconds. Take them out and let them cool. I usually put them on ice to speed it up. This makes peeling the tomatoes easier, which you should do next.

Peel tomatoes.

Chop up the tomatoes as small as you like.

Chop the red onion. I usually have about the same amount of onion as I do tomato.

Mince the garlic.

Chop the cilantro.

Mince the jalapeno

Boil some more water.

Put garlic and onion in a strainer and pour the boiling water over it.

Mix the onion, jalapeno, tomato, garlic and cilantro in a bowl. Squeeze the juice of a lime over the mixture. If the lime is super juicy, only use half of it. Enjoy!

1 comment: