Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Bubbled-up Pizza Deliciousness

One of my favorite things that my mom made growing up is called "Bubbled-up Pizza." It was always such a treat when she made it. I didn't really start cooking until college, and I remember one night, I just wanted some Bubbled-up Pizza.

A quick call to my mom and a trip to the grocery store, and I was on my way. A little piece of home, when my mama was so far away. By far away, I mean she was only 30 minutes. Hey! I had a little separation anxiety...which I'm becoming familiar with now as Lucy has recently developed it. Only she's 8 months and I was 20...years old.

I don't go by a recipe when I make this. I go by what I have on hand, or what kind of pizza mood I'm in. You can really throw anything into the sauce mix - that's the best part.

Here is what I generally do--and you can be flexible to include what you really like on your pizza:

Bubbled-up pizza
- 2-3 cans of biscuits (the normal sized ones that come in sets of four--not the jumbo ones)
- 1 Pound of sausage, crumbled
- Pepperoni, chopped (however much you want)
- 1 Onion, diced/chopped
- 1 Jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese

These are the basic ingredients. I usually add mushrooms, but I know everyone doesn't like them. Sometimes I add other meats too, like bacon or ham and sometimes green pepper...really whatever you like on your pizza, just chop it up and throw it in there.

Pre-heat oven to 350°. Spray pan with non-stick spray.

For a 13x9 pan, I'd use about 3 cans of biscuits. Tear the biscuits into thirds or fourths and throw them in the pan. Don't press them, just spread them out evenly in the pan.

Brown the sausage and onion (if you use onion). Chop up the pepperoni into little pieces...probably like fourths or fifths, I'd say. Pour the jar of spaghetti sauce into the sausage mixture and also add the pepperoni. Add a handful of cheese to the sauce mixture, and mix well.

Pour the sauce mixture over the biscuits and top with the remainder of cheese.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown and the biscuits are done. Mmmm so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment