Thursday, December 27, 2012

New Mini Fridge/Kegerator

So I finally found a mini fridge on Craigslist for $75. It seemed to be the perfect size and style for me to convert into a kegerator. I contacted the guy and he said to me if you come get it today, you can have the beer and the fridge for $60. Needless to say, I went over to his house immediately after work.

After bringing the fridge home, I started emptying it. It had multiple bottles of liqueur in it that were half full so we threw them out. There was a bunch of Yinglings, a few Coors Light, a couple Bud Lights, a bottle of Sake, and about a 12 pack of PowerAde. I figure I only paid about $30 for the fridge, and about $30 for the stuff inside.

First thing I did is take out the door panel so I will have enough room to fit the five gallon corny keg. When I first started this project, I was hoping it would fit two corny kegs but it looks like it will only be one. That is fine with me. This is a photo of the door panel removed and the gasket screwed back on. I think I might have to purchase a piece of pexi-glass to add in to make up the thickness of the door panel.

The last thing I did (and most frightening) was having to take the freezer section and pull it down to open up the top part of the fridge. I was very nervous about this, due to the fact that if the tube that carries the freon breaks, we have a worthless box. I was able to get it bent down without it breaking or kinking. I was very happy.

After watching the temps tonight, it looks like it will stay at about 38 degrees just fine. I think I will purchase a temp controller to help keep my temps perfect though.

No comments:

Post a Comment